We like to keep things pretty simple at Hugo. We offer just one type of rental car, ideally suited to the backpacker or independent traveller.
Hugo has a fleet of Nissan Tiida hatchbacks, operating out of our depots in Auckland and Christchurch. These cars are small but perfectly formed. Reliable. Economical. Tried and tested.
- What you see is what you get with Hugo. No empty promises. No false advertising. If you want a reliable, economical rental car to explore New Zealand with, Hugo is the way to go
- Hugo cars are well maintained and provide you with peace of mind because of our 24 hour roadside assistance programme. Hugo is perfect for that long hire. You get a great value, low cost holiday.
- Hugo cars are cheap to run – they have a 4.5 star NZ economy rating on fuel efficiency.
- Hugo cars have a surprising amount of room – five seats and approximately 479 litres of cargo volume – plenty of space to store those holiday nicknacks – and your luggage!
- Hugo cars are easy to drive – just the right size and with good visibility, paired with a fuel efficient but peppy 1.5L chain driven engine.
Hugo Car Specs
Hugo operates Nissan Tiida 5 door hatchback cars:
- Engines: 1.5 litre, 4 cylinder, chain driven (very reliable)
- Petrol: Petrol (91 unleaded) costs about $1.80 a litre in NZ (as at July 2016). The fuel tank is 45 litres, so a full tank of gas should cost you about $85.
- Fuel Consumption: Approximately 6 litres per 100kms (4.5 star NZ economy rating)
- Age: Hugo rental cars are all aged between 2006 and 2009, imported new to New Zealand in 2016.
- Mileage: Hugo rental cars have an average mileage of 54,000kms (between 40,000 – 90,000kms
- Transmission: Automatic
- Passengers: Seats five (but perfect for two or three)
- Dimensions: Length of car: 4.2 metres Width: 1.7 metres Cargo volume: Approximately 479 litres (Hugo recommends backpacks instead of hard suitcases)
Hugo Rental Cars include
- 24 hour roadside assistance (Hugo cars are reliable, but it’s nice to know its there!)
- Basic insurance (which can be upgraded for complete coverage – See the Insurance below )
- Unlimited kilometres
- Air conditioning.
- Good stereo with MP3 function (music is important for that road-trip of a lifetime).
- Maps, campground guides and guidebook.
- Fast friendly service
Hugo Cars are great value for money and probably amongst the cheapest in New Zealand. If you do find a better price on a similar vehicle, let us know and we’ll match or better it.
Check out the rates below, but please note, they’re indicative only and may change from time to time, so it’s probably best to enter your travel dates in the quote/booking box over there
- The rates are above are indicative only (but they’ll be pretty close!). Please enter your travel dates within the quote/booking box to get an accurate quote which will be honoured for 5 days. Or feel free to contact us directly for a quote.
- Hugo’s daily hires are calculated on a 24 hour period (pick up at 10:00am on a Monday and return by 10:00am on Tuesday constitutes 1 day (24 hours). As an aside, Hugo Campervans are calculated on a calendar day basis.
- Minimum Hire Periods apply. See below
Deposits & Payments
Hugo accepts Visa and Mastercard credit cards. When you make a booking, Hugo will take a deposit of $300 (if your total rental is less than this, than you pay only the rental value). You then pay the balance when you collect your car. Too easy.
Minimum Hire Periods
Hugo cars has a minimum hire period of five days if you have also purchased insurance with Hugo. If you have not taken insurance and chosen the bond option instead, the minimum hire is seven days.
One way fees
One way hires either way between our depots in Auckland and Christchurch are OK with Hugo, but they are subject to availability and a one way fee of $300 may apply (depending on direction, time of the year, balance of fleet etc). Best to contact us and we’ll sort it.
Cancellations and Amendments
If you cancel your confirmed Hugo reservation more than 22 days before your scheduled pick up date, we will refund your deposit in full. No worries.
If you cancel your confirmed reservation within 7 to 21 days before your scheduled pick up date, you will be charged a cancellation fee of $300 (lose your deposit).
If you cancel your confirmed reservation within 1 to 6 days before your scheduled pick up date, you will be charged a cancellation fee of 50% of your total gross rental cost. If you cancel your confirmed Hugo reservation on day of pick up, or you ‘no-show’, then you will be charged 100% of your gross rental cost.
If you return your Hugo rental car early for any reason whatsoever after travel has commenced, then no refund is available.
Hugo has different insurance for campervans and cars. The details below are specific to Hugo rental cars.
Hugo includes standard insurance in the daily rate, but that still leaves you liable for any damage caused – to a maximum of $2,000.
Hugo freezes that $2,000 on your credit card and refunds it when the van is returned, as agreed.
Many hirers choose to upgrade their insurance and take out ‘excess waiver insurance’ which can reduce that possible liability right down to nil.
Remember, this is completely optional. Check out Hugo’s two insurance options within the table below and choose the one that is best for you.
- If the insurance excess waiver option is taken, it is valid for the first incident or accident only.
- The liability is capped but all insurance is waived if the vehicle is being driven in a manner which is outside the agreed terms of our contract e.g. Drunk driving, negligence leading to loss etc. In such instances, the hirers can be held liable for all costs associated with any accident or loss.
Every rental company has a rental agreement or contract. This is the fine print. Hugo makes a point of being really transparent, so here’s a copy of our terms and conditions for you to have a look at. Feel free to contact Hugo if you have any questions.
Traveling around New Zealand with Hugo is easy. There’s so much to see and do, but most of the fun is actually getting there.
Hugo has some information and a few tips to make your New Zealand road-trip that much better…
Hugo’s depots are shared with Escape Rentals. These depots are centrally located in both Auckland City and Christchurch.
Click here to view maps
Hugo’s depots are open 7 days and pickups are available between the following times : Monday to Sundays 9am – 3pm, Public Holidays 9.30am – 2pm. You MUST arrive within these times to collect your vehicle. Try to get to Hugo early to get on the road sooner and make the most of your day. Pickups outside these times can sometimes be arranged for an extra fee, but you’ll have to check first. We are closed on Christmas Day and New Years Day – and closed on Sundays in winter (June, July & August).
You are responsible for returning your Hugo car with the same level of fuel as when you collected your vehicle i.e. If it had ½ a tank of gas when you got your vehicle, please ensure you return it with ½ a tank. Hugo cars use 91 unleaded petrol. This costs approximately $1.70 – $1.85 per litre in New Zealand (as at October 2016)
Driver’s License Requirements
To hire and drive a Hugo Campervan or Car…
- You need to be at least 18 years of age.
- We DO NOT accept provisional or learner licenses (or licenses which have been suspended anywhere, for any reason).
- We DO ACCEPT valid English language driver’s licenses. An English language licence basically means a licence issued in the following countries: UK/Ireland, USA, Australia, NZ and some parts of Canada.
- If your drivers licence is not from one of these countries, you will need TWO items in order to drive in New Zealand :
(1) Your local license AND…
(2) Either an International Licence OR a certified English translation of your home licence. We recommend Transnational for NZ certified translations. Contact them on www.transnational-ltd.co.nz and they will arrange to get your license translated and sent back to you via email for a pretty reasonable fee. They even offer an urgent service which will get this sorted for you within a couple of hours (although it’s cheaper if it’s not urgent, so it’s probably a good idea to get this sorted before you arrive).
- Remember, unless your license is fully in English language, you will need to provide BOTH your local drivers license AND an International licence/or a certified English translation.
This is not ‘over the top’ admin. on our part. It is the law and is required by the NZTA, NZ Police and by our own insurance company.
We do also expect a level of driving competency with our hirers. You should be an experienced driver, able to drive both automatic and manual transmission (unless you have specifically requested and paid for our transmission guarantee). You should know how to change a tyre, how and when to top up water and oil and most importantly….how to Drive Safe. Click here for more about Drive Safe.
Remember, Hugo Campers doesn’t charge any extra for additional drivers.
The North and South Islands of New Zealand are separated by Cook Strait. It may not look far between Wellington and Picton, but trust us, it’s about 92 kilometres (don’t swim it). You’ll need to take the ferry and this will take about three hours and cost you approximately $50 per person plus $110 for the car (each way). Try and book an offpeak sail time for lower prices. Hugo likes Bluebridge Ferries and we recommend booking early, especially over summer – You can also get a discount with Bluebridge ferrys if you enter ‘hugo’ as the promo code within their online booking system.
Can I reduce the excess on my rental car?
Yes, there are liability reduction options available which will reduce the excess you are liable for in the case of an accident or other vehicle damage. Refer to the ‘Insuarnce’ tab at the top of this page for all our insurance options.